Monday, January 11, 2010

So. Damn. Hot.

I’ve figured out why Argentines stay out so late at night: it’s too damn hot to do anything during the day besides lay in front of a fan and moan pitifully. Unless you have aircon (and most people, including myself, do not), it’s just unbearable. Thus, night becomes THE time to do things. After about 10 or 11 pm, it finally cools off a bit and you can breathe without feeling like you’re being smothered by a hot, wet blanket. Sitting outside on a terrace or going for a walk is infinitely more pleasurable at 1 am than at 1 pm. When most people in other countries would be going to bed, Argentines are still doing their normal activities--going to the gym, playing f'útbol, walking the dog, having a cup of coffee.

After being here for almost 6 months, I’ve completely adjusted to this schedule. On a normal weekday I can’t fall asleep before 1 or 2 am, and on the weekends a good night will end at 7 or 8 am. To think that some people in the States (hi Dad!) go to sleep at 8 pm is insane…I don’t even get off work until 8 pm!

In other news, I think my cat has herpes. Cat herpes is apparently very common in young gatitos, and I think Traguito’s got it. He has gross stuff in one eye and he when he squints up at me it’s the saddest thing. Then he opens his mouth and starts meowing, and all sense of sympathy goes out the window. Loud-ass cat. Might throw him out the window. Just kidding! It's all love, I swear. Anyway, I've just been told off for not playing with him, so I'm off to placate the monster with some shiny ribbon or my ankles.

No comments:

Post a Comment