Friday, January 22, 2010

An Update on My Life


I've been a bad blogger. I haven't updated in forever. After receiving a helpful reminder from dear mother to update my damn blog already (thanks mama), I feel bad. Life has just been so hectic lately, I haven't had the time to write anything, let alone think any deep thoughts. But still, no excuses. So here's a brief overview of my life for those who are dying to know!

First, job scene = jobless AGAIN. I knew when I went into this job (doing marketing for a software company) that it was a trial period, because the company currently has no marketing whatsoever and my boss wanted to be sure I could do the things he needed done. Needless to say, I had my reservations. I have no marketing background, no experience, and no training in marketing, formal or otherwise. So, I decided I would give it my best shot and see what happened. Last thursday I got the axe, although in the nicest way possible, which was a pleasant change compared to the completely immature and a-hole way my previous employer dealt with the situation. My boss called me in and said that while he thought I was very inteligent and capable, he wanted someone with actual marketing experience in the position--quite understandably. He went on to say that he really liked me and still wanted me to work for the company, but that there were no open positions that he could give me at the moment. So, when a position opens up, he is going to call me, to which  I said I would be glad to come back and work for him.

In the meantime, I applied to a few things, and went on an interview today with a really nice girl, so we'll see how that goes. At this point going home is even less of an option--I have a new life here, new friends...I have a cat for goodness sake! I'm enjoying every minute of living here, and I'm learning so much about myself and about the world as I go. For example, yesterday I learned that cats have a body temperature of about 102 degrees, and when said animal is draped around your neck in 95 degree heat and 100 percent humidity, my patience hits an all time low.

In other news, the city is still empty...everyone is on vacation for the next two months, and the streets are strangely quiet (ish...I don't think BA will ever be "quiet"). I am playing soccer three times a week now with the boys--there's a pretty solid group of regulars at this point, and new people always show up, so that's super fun. I didn't know how much I missed playing until I started again, and now I can't get enough! We've been trying to get a group together to play on a big field outside, instead of the smaller indoor 6v6 we usually play on, so we'll see how that goes...I might collapse from exhaustion! Although, I am definitely getting in shape again--it's hard not to when playing soccer three times a week and not eating in an effort to save money! I also bought some fresh new kicks to play in, the running shoes weren't cutting it. Oh, and my legs are covered in bruises and scrapes from the violent chicos...they know who they are!

I am excitedly awaiting my mom's trip down here at the end of February...I can't wait to show her my city and let her see exactly why I love it so much here. I am currently arming a list of everything I need her to bring down for me, including more of my clothes and shoes, electronics, bakeware, and of course, peanut butter! Before then I want to visit Benja (old roommate/owner of the apartment) down south in Esquél when he gets some time off from giving fly-fishing tours, and I'm also planning on visiting my current roommate Eli at the beach (Villa Gesell) sometime in February as well. Unless I find a job, of course, in which case it's back to work!




The cat is fine, still meowing insufferably at inopportune hours and pouncing on anything that moves. But his little face is too cute, and he sleeps curled up at my feet, so we have so far refrained from hurling him off the balcony.


So, in sum, life is still good! There have been some ups and downs, but honestly, even the downs don't seem like downs. They're more like tiny clouds in an otherwise perfectly blue sky. Shine on, BA, shine on.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Amy! I am .loving. your blog. I'm a girl from Sydney, Australia and am planning The Big Move some time late this year and your blogs on the colectivos and other daily life matters are just awesome! Not to mention you're bloody funny :) It's all a bit scary thinking of uprooting myself completely to run off to the other side of the world but knowing the little details like how to pay bills and all that will definitely make it a bit easier. Please keep writing!!! Much love from Sydney, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice picture. good to see that little flag is being put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley- thank you so much! i'm glad you enjoy the blog...bsas really is an amazing place to live and i'm sure you will love it! let me know when you get here and we can get together for a drink or something! :)

    Zack- the little brat stole it right off my desk! it was blowing in the breeze from my fan and he can't resist chewing on anything that moves, so he carefully extracted it from the mug it was in and started eating it. but don't worry i took it back after i took the pics :)

    ReplyDelete