Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Temazo Tuesday

6 months and 1 day. That's how long I've been here in Buenos Aires. Half a year since I packed up all my crap (read: clothes) and shipped myself down to the southern hemisphere. Half a year since I last saw my family and friends. Half a year since I've driven a car, eaten Chik-fil-A, watched TV. It's been half a freaking year since I left American soil, but sometimes I feel like I just got here. So much has happened that it kind of seems like a blur.

I've lived in two apartments with four different people, some of whom I will be friends with for life. I've held two jobs, one bad and one mediocre (the good one is coming soon, fingers crossed!). I've been to different cities, concerts, parks, shows, bars, clubs, and countless restaurants. I went to Octoberfest. My best friend Stephanie came and visited me. I got a cat. I've done things I never thought I would and I can only look forward to more great things (Patagonia and beach, here I come!)

On the other hand, sometimes I feel like I've been here forever. I have a normal life here now--I have a support system of good friends, activities, routines. I pay rent and I pay bills. I do laundry, I go shopping, I clean the apartment. I take the cat to the vet and threaten to throw him off the balcony if he doesn't stop whining. I go out for dinner with friends, drink beers, hang out at the park. I bitch about the heat and the government and the men. Sometimes it almost seems too mundane, but then I remember that I'm in Buenos Aires and not many other people can say that they moved to the city they love and started a new life from scratch. (Go me!)

Who knows what will happen in the future? I am in love with Argentina, and until that changes, I'm not going anywhere (unless I get deported, which is not a complete impossibility). I have no incentive to leave, and plenty of reasons to stay: the city, the language, the food, the nightlife, the culture, the people. The people alone are reason enough.

So in honor of my love for Argentina and also because I've been playing this song almost non-stop since I watched High Fidelity with John Cusack, today's temazo is going to be "I Believe (When I Fall in Love)" by Stevie Wonder. Beautiful song for a beautiful country...it almost makes me cry. Or at least it would if I wasn't completely dehydrated from sweating day and night. YUM. Take it away, Stevie!




1 comment:

  1. hi... i'm matias from argentina but living in london for the last 2 months ...... i wonder where, when and why??? you picked such passion for my country ...... you just picked a country and went to see what might happend ? or you knew where you were coming? ..... and why?? whyyyyy ??

    i don't understand.

    ReplyDelete