Monday, April 19, 2010

The Little Things

The more time I spend here in BA, the more I enjoy the little things about life. I’m not sure if this newfound appreciation is actually even related to being here in BA…maybe it’s just a slow and gradual way of learning to look at life that comes with getting older, living on your own, being a real person.

Actually, it’s probably more a result of the fact that I work from home and thus spend lots of quality time with myself, thinking about stuff like this. I’ve really got to get out more. Anyway, little things are great.

Things like a hot cup of tea on a cold day. Sitting on the balcony at 7 pm and watching day become night. Buying a new shower curtain. Watching a favorite movie (Top Gun—you know you love it) in bed on a rainy day. Discovering a new band and listening to their songs over and over again. Finding the perfect pair of black leather boots after 9 months of searching. Trying a delicious new recipe with great success. Going to the park on a beautiful day and people-watching for hours.

Little things are what life is all about, especially when you’re broke and in a foreign country and doing big things isn’t really an option. Back when I first got here, I got to do lots of the big things (taking trips, going to shows, etc). But that was when I still didn’t know what I was going to do, when I still thought I was going to end up on a plane back to the States within a few months. Back then, I could spend a little money because I thought it was all going to end relatively soon.

Now that my BA life has become a little more permanent, I can’t do as many of the big things. Paying the rent, paying the bills, and basically existing have become the focus and spending money on big things requires a lot of thought. Welcome to the real world, I suppose.

I am planning a big trip home to the States, sometime in late June or early July, during which I will stuff my face with all kinds of glorious food that you can't get here aka Taco Bell, Chipotle, Panera, Outback Steakhouse, and Chik-fil-A. But that's not for a while yet. In the meantime I'm heading over to Uruguay for my tourist visa re-stamping, oh joy of joys. At least I'm going with someone this time though...misery loves company (mwoohahaha)! Anyway, more later, I'm off to try making pierogies!


1 comment:

  1. My trip to uruguay was literally leaving the ferry, getting an empanada, and 5 minutes later I took the ferry back home. God I suck. Or I love BA.*


    * no, its the former

    ReplyDelete